Saturday, June 6, 2009

How it feels to grow up gay and Mormon.

*Disclaimer: There's a lot of anger in this post about the Mormon Church. And I know lots of you who read this blog are active Mormons. You've been warned.*

Many of you have probably come across the pamphlet distributed by the Mormon Church called, "To Young Men Only." By and large, it deals with sexuality, masturbation and homosexuality without actually saying any of those words, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, as one having "problems" with masturbation as a kid (what male doesn't), I read this pamphlet over and over. I even considered memorizing it, to help me overcome the "problem" with my "factory."

Anyhow, I flipped through it today as I was cleaning my apartment, and my heart sank at the following passage. I remember being about 15 years old and reading this. And to be honest, I'm pretty damn pissed off in retrospect.

"There is a falsehood that some are born with an attraction to their own kind, with nothing they can do about it. They are just "that way" and can only yield to those desires. That is a malicious and destructive lie. While it is a convincing idea to some, it is of the devil. No one is locked into that kind of life. From our premortal life we were directed into a physical body. There is no mis-matching of bodies and spirits. Boys are to become men—masculine, manly men—ultimately to become husbands and fathers. No one is predestined to a perverted use of these powers."


Sigh. I remember how broken I felt. How determined I was to correct my attraction. Now I see this passage as full of misunderstanding and lies (how would a Mormon transgender person feel?). So full, in fact, that the Church's stance on the source of homosexuality has since changed to a "we don't know" approach.

The thing is, is I don't feel like I'm supposed to be a "masculine, manly" man. I'm supposed to be me. That conclusion took me years to arrive at. And to really believe it took even longer. But now, I feel like I am who I am. And like you, I feel like I'm going to be me for a really long time.

Also, there is nothing "malicious and destructive" about love. And that's all there is to be said about that.

In "The Miracle of Forgiveness" I read that my homosexuality was not just the way I was, but CAUSED by masturbation. That's right. I learned that I myself had caused my own homosexuality. I perceived it as God's punishment for playing with myself.

In the middle of my "reparative therapy" at the BYU-Idaho Counseling Center, my research revealed that effective psychological "treatment" for homosexuality was not only highly unlikely, but considered unethical by the modern world.

So forgive me if this post is full of anger and angst. It's just that I see this sort of thing still happening. I see people not being affirmed for who they are. I see people trapped in dogmas (Mormon and otherwise) that don't accept them for being them. I read blogs of individuals who feel rejected by a Church, yet can't leave it. And it brings me a lot of pain.

Also, my factory runs just fine, thank you very much.

8 comments:

  1. If ever I saw Boyd Packer, I'd probably punch him in the mouth. He pretty much single-handedly (with a little help from Kimball and my parents) fucked up my entire childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood.

    I'm now pretty much over my own misfortune, but what they're still doing to kids growing up makes me so beyond furious I can't even express. That they still teach the lies about masturbation, homosexuality, and sexuality in general make me so angry, because by now, they ought to really know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, I'm sitting here, trying to come up with a way to respond to this. I agree with so much of what you say, and am also saddened by the way the Church goes about some things. I've read snippets of that pamphlet before, and was always disturbed by some of the wording.

    When the Prop 8 thing got so big, it was super hard to sit in church and hear that I was supposed to support only what the Church felt was right--that I was only a worthy member of the Church if my beliefs fell in line with Prop 8. I was so confused. I can only imagine if I had been living in CA and been asked to go door to door to gain support for Prop 8.

    Being heterosexual, I haven't faced the same struggles with identity and religion that you and other gays might have. But I still struggle with my own beliefs because...

    How can I deny someone the right to love, the right to create a home and a family with the person they love? Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me--and my mother would have a fit if she read this--but I find the love between *any* two people something to be admired. Whether they're gay or straight. It doesn't matter. Finding someone to love and to love them in return is one of the greatest gifts you can receive.

    Coming to the realization that the only person you can be is yourself is hard. So much of what the Church teaches seems to mold every person into the same thing. But there are so many wonderful people out there, including you, who don't fit in that mold. And to me, it's a beautiful thing.

    I support you. I love you. For who you are. For who you will be. *And* for who you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick,

    FORK FORK FLIP FLAP FORK! JACKITY JACK DANIELS. BEEHAA.

    My computer just deleted my comment. Trying to stay G-rated. I think my computer hates me. I'm wondering if Fox News infiltrated it. For the second time:

    Nick,

    Ah! I'm relieved to hear that your factory is working fine!

    And, both your previous commenters' comments made me all teary.

    Also, I enjoy a good use of the "F." (My fave. word. I've noticed that my Mormon friends--even the ex-Mos--don't use it very often.)

    I think that Kristina--whoever she is, the lovely dear--is right on, in her statement that "coming to the realization that the only person you can be is yourself is hard." I would add, that in certain situations it seems to me to often be EXCRUTIATINGLY hard. If you don't fit your community's mold; or if your parents are controlling/coercive; or if you're burdened with perfectionism or anxiety or guilt... or, lots of times, if you're simply FEMALE. I fit my community's mold reasonably well and my parents' main agenda seems to have been mainly that we be our own gloriously unique, special selves and that we be secure and safe and happy. But! I'll own up to being a recovering perfectionist, and female. With a well-socialized female's all-too-common overconcern with what others think of me. And, I probably have more than the usual burden of anxiety, because of my family's genetic history.

    But enough about me, and more about my opinions.

    You know what sucks? What you were just talking about. Emotional/mental/psychological/spiritual castration. (I ALSO THINK PHYSICAL CASTRATION and FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION SUCK!) Why can't They just leave us the hell alone? Or better yet, LOVE AND NURTURE us! and CELEfreakingBRATE our HEALTHY urges to individuate and to become complete, whole, mature, sexual beings!

    Why isn't there LESS fear and ignorance, and MORE love and compassion and GIVING? And CARING for the innocent, instead of DAMAGING them? And why doesn't that happen NOW?!

    I hate sucky stuff. Makes me sad. Every day. It's like in Whitman's Leaves of Grass, where he talks about every person's suffering being his own. Same with me. Only, I suffer along with animals, too.

    My hubbie's a disgusting optimist, and claims that the world is getting better with each generation. Maybe. There's a few signs of improvement that I will grudgingly admit to--I think the early settlers of America hung gays? And, my dad says, in certain sections of Idaho, they used to teach IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS, that your "soul leaves your body" during masturbation. They certainly don't get away with THAT shit anymore! But, I think I prefer the Joy of Worry as a safe fallback--although recreational levity certainly has it uses. :D

    Anyway, I know that MY world is better since you started this blog! And I'm so glad that your life is becoming increasingly self-embracing and free, and that you're increasingly in a position to advocate for and support and be an example for others in all their diverse ways of being.

    I'll conclude this heavy stuff with something today's post reminded me of... From a post by Rach's bro Scotty. (From more than a year ago, in a post about going Green...) In that long-ago post, Scott quoted Rage Against the Machine, "It has to start someplace, it has to start sometime. What better place than here, what better time than now?"

    Always brings those every-ready tears of mine. Need to make a poster of that and put it up in my house.

    On a recreationally light subject: I wanted to welcome you back from SF and congratulate you for having--according to what Rach wrote me--the best meal of your life in Chinatown! Mentioned that to my hubbie and he related a story I can not WAIT to share with you and Rach... A story my bro told him, about this Brazilian restauranat in SF with beautiful barebreasted Brazilian boy servers... Will tell you when I next visit Shelley if you're around.

    XO heidi juniper

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Just reread that darling Kristina's comment. Gotta make a poster of HER concluding remarks--I too support and love ALL sentient beings for who they are and who they're becoming and who they love.

    Wish I could do more about that. Do you think getting worked up and saying the "F" a bunch when I contemplate injustice and suffering and the terrifyingly sad things happening to our planet's health, will be of help?

    p.p.s. YES I wrote basically ALL of that the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you all! I hope this post wasn't a plea for affirmation. It certainly wasn't meant as one. But it was simply to put things out there. Being honest about our experiences will bring about change in people's hearts, I say.

    And Heidi, let me know when you come to Shelley and I'll do my best to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicky,
    I posted a comment a long time ago but it is not here. That makes me angry.

    But anyway, I just wanted you to know how brave it was for you to post this and how happy I am that you did.

    Also, glad to hear that all is well with your factory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick, You can't choose who you love or who loves you. Just be sure you love yourself always, through and through, and no matter what and be true to your heart. I am glad that you found your way down this path and have some inner peace and acceptance so young ... It took my Uncle David and entire lifetime of struggle and I think even when he died, he didn't truly feel he belonged anywhere. I think the LDS church will come around just like they did with people of color. And young people like you are simply not going to stand for it any more and will leave. You will always have a friend in me. Love, Beth Watson

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha "my factory works just fine"! That last phrase makes me crack up. I could just picture you saying that at the end of a meeting with your bishop or something. Maybe I have some sort of physiological problem myself but I find that hilarious! No one can say gay guys don't have a good sense of humor. That's crazy about the whole reparative therapy meetings. I had no idea something like that existed on campus. Yea they can be a bit strict on campus even for a straight guy. Sounds like you have moved on though and doing your own thing... (my little joke)

    ReplyDelete