Friday, March 27, 2009

I'll walk with you, I'll talk with you...

If you are, or have ever been Mormon, you probably know the Primary song, "I'll Walk With You," by Carol Lynn Pearson. Rumor has it, the song was inspired by or directed toward gay members of the church. Whether this is true or not, I can't be sure. But if I got to choose, it would be. If you need evidence, it's here.

Anyhow, when my favorite two year old asked for me to put him to bed tonight (I, of course, was delighted), I sang "I'll Walk With You."

But don't worry, I didn't stop there. My next song was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And the one after that? "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I just have one question... how did you not know?

OK, to be fair, I know most of you had an inkling, at least.

3 comments:

  1. Carol Lynn Pearson is amazing. I heard her speak at a Counterpoint Conference one year. Her advocacy for changing the church's teachings on gay/lesbian relationships is incredible (oddly enough, even though I grew up LDS, I'd never heard "I'll Walk With You").

    Anyway, there's something truly sublime about singing to a child right before bed time, huh? It's one of the few aspects of parenthood that I thoroughly enjoy. I sing the lullaby from Mary Poppins to my boys every night (you know it? Stay awake, don't rest your head, don't lie down upon your bed etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my fav primary songs. Along with "My Heavenly Father Loves Me." I like the picture of you singing Sorenito to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Your favorite 2-year old!

    ReplyDelete